CanadaLegal.info Articles · Books · News
Government of Canada
Populations of Provinces & Cities
Finding & choosing Canadian Lawyers
An Introduction to Canadian Legal Information & Lawyers' Web Sites
Our mission is to help you find basic reliable information and web sources for Canada's legal-courts-lawyers services,
by province and major cities.
Canada's Justice System
See the Federal Department of Justice overview, at
canada.justice.gc.ca/eng - (English version)
canada.justice.gc.ca/fra - (Français ver.)
The site covers topics including: What is the law? Sources of Canadian law.
The Law in Action. The citizen and the law (e.g. jury duty, testifying in court, knowing the law)
"The law affects Canadians every day. There are, we know, laws against crimes such as robbery or murder. But there are also laws that apply to us when we pursue everyday activities, such as driving a car, renting an apartment, getting a job or getting married. In fact, there are laws concerning almost every aspect of our daily lives.
Many people believe that our laws are too difficult to be understood, except by lawyers. It is true that in a complex world the laws can be lengthy and technical. If a person needs help in understanding how the law applies to a specific problem, he or she can always consult a lawyer. But the fundamentals of Canadian law are based on common sense. These ideas and principles concern every Canadian and are something every Canadian should strive to understand. What is the "law"?
Where does it come from? What is it for? How does it operate?
"[quote fr. website foreword at canada.justice.gc.ca/en/dept/pub
Canada Gazette/Gazette du Canada
"Web site of the official newspaper of the Government of Canada / Bienvenue au site Web du journal officiel du gouvernement du Canada" 2011
Canada Statues and Regulations
Court Martial Appeal Court
selected cases - 1997 text
Federation of Law Societies of Canada national CLE [Continuing Legal Education] Programs
Info. re the National Criminal and Family law Programs produced by this group can be found at
Also see the Federation's home page at www.flsc.ca
This web site features periodic articles about different aspects of
Canada's laws. The articles are chosen to be useful for the lay reader, and have been written by lawyers and other professionals.
Subjects Covered Include:
- Publishers of Canadian Legal Information
- News & Events Related to Canada's Legal System
- Introduction to Canada's Criminal Law
- Introduction to Litigation / Lawsuits / Starting Legal Action
- Canada Immigration and Sponsoring of Parents/Grand Parents
- Articles on Employment Law:
- Articles on Personal Injury Law:
- Map of YUKON - First Nations Language Groups [new] at:
- Pointers to other publications sources and websites:
- Publications of Government of Canada publications.gc.ca
- Canadian Legal / Reference Publishers
NB Quotes from websites and publications on this website in no way implies endorsement of this website by the source of the quotes, unless otherwise noted.
Materials referred to or cited on this website are intended to provide viewers with potentially useful information sources for their own personal use and is not intended to
replace consultation from e.g. an appropriate legal expert-lawyer.
If you note any errors or ommissions contact us by e-mail
Chinese Mandarin & Cantonese Fluent Canada Immigration Lawyer
加拿大移民律師 / 加拿大移民律师
Mona Chan, LLB, Barrister & Solicitor
Mona has worked in Canada Immigration Law, both in Canada and China.
She is fluent in Mandarin and Cantonese Chinese, in addition to English. She has worked on cases from both Government and private individuals and business applicant perspectives.
She has represented clients in Canada Immigration cases:
- to appeal admissions applications, and
- to appeal leaving Canada / deportation, to the Federal Court of Canada
Her background ranges from small business development, to global technology communications manufacturing companies, including hardware and software development.
Mona Chan, LLB, Barrister & Solicitor
Law & Associates Law Corp.
Box 12148 - Nelson Square
808 Nelson Street
Vancouver, BC Canada V6Z 2H2
Government of Canada Publications
"Government of Canada Publications. Your reference for over 100,000 free and priced Government of Canada titles spanning two decades." Go to publications.gc.ca
- Canadian Human Rights Tribunal
www.chrt-tcdp.gc.ca Legislation and decisions 1979 to present
- Canadian International Trade Tribunal
www.citt.gc.ca decisions in full text 1989 - present
- CRTC Canada Radio-Televisiion & Telecommunications Commission
www.crtc.gc.ca 1985 - present, decision-summaries
- Competition Tribunal
- Copyright Board Canada
www.cb-cda.gc.ca 1990 - present select decisions in full text - and tariffs /
When do you need to consult a lawyer in Canada? How do you select a lawyer?
What questions to ask when interviewing a lawyer (its a two way selection process). These are some questions we hope to help you with.
Canada Immigration Lawyers and Law Firms
Family Law Mediation / Alternative Dispute Resolution "ADR" Lawyers
Canada Personal Injury Lawyers and Law Firms
Canada Class Action Lawyers and Law Firms
- What is a class action suit and how to select a lawyer or become a member of the class
- Profile of Canada Class Action Lawyer & cocounsel with settlement of Canada's Tainted Blood Products Case
Canada Criminal Defense Lawyers & Law Firms
Exemplar Profiles of Canadian Lawyers in different legal practice areas
Class Action Law - the lawyer who was co-counsel in Canada's largest class action settlement, on the spread of Hepatitis C through a country wide tainted blood supply
This site was developed by a group of people who have served as "expert witnesses" and information consultants for law firms in litigation involving personal injury cases, labor law, wills variation and breach of trust cases as well as class action suits. The development team has also received support from a number of lawyers with different areas of practice.
It is our hope that you will find this site useful in your decision making as to consulting or selecting a lawyer for your needs.
This site is not endorsed by web sites to which it provides links to, unless otherwise noted e.g. where a lawyer or law firm has volunteered to serve as a reference editor, consultant or content contributor to this site.
Special Acknowledgements: the following lawyers and librarians and business writers were insturmental in inspiring and indirectly supporting the development of this website:
- Jeffrey Lowe, LLB. of Lowe & Co. Canada immigration & business lawyers
www.CanadaVisaLaw.com in Vancouver, BC [one of the first law firms in Canada to have a web site in 1997] s/a CanadaTradeJobs.com a new website for recruiting foreign skilled trademen for Canada's booming construction and oil industry in BC and Alberta particularly.
- Michael Jeffery, LLB (retired) of Jeffery & Calder for introducing me to the field of civil litigation research services in 1984.
- Law Students and faculty at the University of Alberta and the publisher of www.canonsofconstruction.com Mona Chan, LLB - UBC Library Major Gifts Officer 2005-2006
- Guy Robertson, M.L.S. library instructor, disaster-mitigation & emergency planning expert and editor of www.provenance.ca ISSN 1203-8954, one of the first web publications for librarians, archivists and records managers 1995-2006
s/a Profile of Disaster-Emergency Preparedness Planner
- Angus Weller, BA, mapmaker-cartographer www.mapmatrix.com
- Brain Buchanan, MBA, for his sense of biting wit www.fracas.com
- B.W., Library Tech with law library, special librarians & fact checker for www.metrotown.info downtown Vancouver, Winnipeg & Toronto
- A. S. Chan, MSW, PH.D., University of Fraser Valley, B.C. www.ufv.ca -- School of Social Work
- Valerie Hum, B.Sc., Ottawa interviewer/correspondent and photograph contributor of Supreme Court photos used on this website
N. Chan, MSW, Dip. Library Tech.
© copyright 2004 - 2010 Netpac.com and CanadaLegal.info
Courts · Lawyers · Legal Support Services
Lawyers Attorneys Barristers & Solicitors
Bruce Lemer, BC Class Actions, Product Liability, Professional Negligence, Catastrophic Personal Injuries
Charlotte Salomon, Victoria Bar Association, ICBC Catastrophic Personal Injury Disputes
Wills & Probate, Real Estate
Mona Chan, Vancouver Immigration, Mandarin & Cantonese
加拿大移民律師 / 加拿大移民律师
Jeremiah Eastman, GTA Toronto Canada Immigration Applications & Appeals
Terrence Carter, Greater Toronoto Area GTA & Ottawa NGO Law for Charity Law, Intellectual Property & Trademarks
Rose Keith, BC Wrongful Dismissals / Employment Law and Vancouver Personal Injury
Gordon Zenk, serves Metro Vancouver family and personal injury clients from Port Moody office
Professional Education & Organizations
Law Students Publications
Private Investigators in Canada